Would you like to join one of the best golf clubs in the area?
By Bryan C. Moor (former Secretary)
(extracted from the Club Handbook of 1988)
More information is available in
Sundridge Park Golf Club - The First Hundred Years: 1901-2001 written by Alan Bellinger
Sundridge for a thousand years has been an attraction to people from all around the world. The name of Sundridge first appears as a locality in an Anglo Saxon Charter dated AD 987, but does not appear as an historic entity until almost a century later - sometime in fact after the Domesday survey.
In 1210 there is a reference to Galfredus De Sundresse, however in 1227 there is mention of Adam Le Blund, whose ancestor had arrived in England with William the Conqueror. He acknowledged the right of Gilbert de Melles to the property at "Sundresse" and he further agreed that he and his heirs should pay Gilbert and his heirs "Five Shillings" (25p) for the use of a large meadow at Sundridge.
The Le Blunds owned Sundridge for many years and in 1225 Peter Le Blund became constable of the Tower of London.
Years later the house was bought by the Booth Family and was later transferred through marriage to Thomas Bettenham whose great grandson then gave it away to his daughters husband Robert Pysent.
Following the Pysents, a Thomas Washer of Lincolns Inn became the new owner and once again through marriage, Sundridge was to have yet another owner William Wilson, then Sheriff of Kent this was in 1766. Wilson's eldest son then sold the property to Mr. Edward Lind and Sir Claude Scott then purchased the House in 1796.
Sir Claude immediately pulled the old house down and rebuilt the present mansion for his own residence. The Scott family used the mansion for many years as their home. Sir Edward Scott became very well known as a breeder of Pheasants and he often invited King Edward VII to Sundridge Park for weekend shoots.
Sir Edward later sold quite large sections of the estate for development, the major part became known as Sundridge Park Golf Club, the Club developing from just nine holes to eighteen then to twenty-seven and finally to the delightful East and West Courses of today.
The mansion and coaching buildings were sold-off and they were developed into an Hotel and more recently became a very splendid Mangement Training Centre. Through the long years of history, Sundresse or Sundridge has most certainly maintained an interest in itself, but more importantly it has kept its dignity and classical good looks.
Sundridge Park, as we approach the turn of the century, is the only Golf Club in the world boasting two eighteen hole Courses within 7 miles of a major city conurbation. In the Summer of 1901 about a dozen far seeing Bromley men conceived the idea of a Golf Club for their town, on September 14th, 1901, they Issued a printed circular letter headed "Proposed Golf Club" near 'Sundridge Park, Bromley, Kent", giving the name of a Provisional Committee.
With only the offer of a lease from Sir Samuel Scott for approximately 125 acre of land, the Committee invited those circulated to find the sum of £4,500 by taking debentures of £100, each at 4% interest and membership of the Club. Within 21 days from the issue date, a Committee Meeting was held and on October 12th, 1901 that meeting declared that Sundridge Park Golf Club be and is hereby formed.
The first meeting of the Club was held on December 4th, 1901 at the Bell Hotel, Bromley. On December 7th, 1901 Mr. Jack Randall was appointed Club Professional prior to opening and Willie Park was engaged and paid a small fee to set-out the new course, and subsequently the construction proceeded under the expert supervision of James Braid and Jack Randall. Jack Randall added the title of Green Keeper to that of Professional and then together with brother Bob (Caddy Master) commenced a fine working relationship for the club.